The TUgis conference features a Map Design Competition that illustrates both the importance of design for the visual display of geospatial information and highlight web-based mapping applications. Paper maps and applications entered in the Map-App Design Competition should demonstrate the use of GIS for specific applications, and should illustrate the importance of the visual display of geospatial information in addition to overall user experience. Maps and Apps submitted for the competition will be displayed in the conference Map-App Gallery.
Conference attendees will vote for winners in the following categories:
- Professional Map
- Student Map
- Professional App
- Student App
Winners will be recognized at the end of the conference day at the evening Social event and be awarded a complimentary TUgis 2018 registration for up to one individual per submission.
Map Portion Guidelines:
- Map submissions must be no larger than 32”x40” for mounting on foam core.
- Maps must be received by Noon on Monday, March 20, 2017.
- The primary author of the map must be a registered attendee of the conference.
- Each registered attendee is allowed to submit only one map as primary author.
- We will not be able to mail maps back to their owners. Please submit a map that does not need to be returned or plan to pick up your map after the conference at the end of the day.
Please mail or deliver maps to:
TUGIS Map-App Design Competition
Department of Geography and Environmental Planning
8000 York Road
Liberal Arts Building Room 2210
Towson, MD 21252-0001
App Portion Guidelines:
- Apps must be received by 3:00 pm on Monday, March 13, 2016, consisting of the application URL, category (professional or student), title and brief description (100 words or less). Apps should be submitted by email to Marshall Stevenson.
- Apps will be displayed and demoed by their authors from 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm. Authors are not required to be in attendance for the noted time period, however are encouraged to be there as much as possible to demo their app.
- Authors of the app are required to provide their own device for viewing, i.e. laptop, tablet, etc. (Internet access will be provided as part of the conference, via Wi-Fi)
- Authors are responsible for the overall security of their device used for display/demo. It is recommended that if you are planning to leave your device unattended that you secure the device is some manner, e.g. Kensington Lock
- Each registered attendee is allowed to submit only one app as primary author
Questions regarding the App portion of the competition should email Marshall Stevenson.